A Multi-touch Application Development Framework

Friday, February 1, 2008

My World of Silicon ..

In a devastating search for a good compliant surface, I had to start experimenting at home. Most people abroad used Rosco sheets, Silicon sheets, milk paper, caulk paper, and even silk. Silicon sheets gave best results so far; unfortunately we don't have that here in Egypt ..

Just a reminder: Why do we need a compliant surface?
  1. So "moving" your fingers over the surface becomes easier, and will provide better tracking. The motion is not usually "smooth" enough over bare acrylic. It also holds less marks or stains comparable with the acrylic.
  2. Works as a projection surface. Projecting light on a transparent medium will show barely nothing.
  3. Dims the back-light on the other side of the acrylic sheet; it's really great working in a well-lit room.
So, I decided to try making my own silicon sheet at home ..
I bought a silicon tube, emptied it in a tray, n left it to dry till the next day (I'll add photos ASAP).

Results:
  • Silicon is so thick; spreading it evenly on a surface is nearly impossible. A solvent is needed to make it less thick, it could even be sprayed then.
  • Also the thickness creates millions of air bubbles, which will cause noise later in the detection process.
  • With a live test over the hardware, it's PERFECT!!! :D
I contacted two companies to help us out; one hung-up, and the other knows nothing about silicone. Therefore, the next step will be finding a solvent that will help me reduce the thickness of the silicon so I can spread it evenly across the sheet.

No comments: